Monday, May 24, 2010

Vocabulary

Any suggestions on how GPS can better incorporate vocabulary into our curriculum, keeping in mind that we don't want to give you all TONS more extra work? And eliminating vocabulary study all together is not an option...

10 comments:

  1. To incorporate vocabulary into the curriculum more i think we should have to write 15 sentences the involve 1 of the 15 words in each sentence. These sentences should be written during the week we dont have a vocabulary test, which would allow the students to understand the words better. I know this is extra work but it could always help.
    -Olivia Fine

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe a better way to study vocab is to go over five words in class each day. The words could be reviewed Wednesday-Friday and reviewed on Monday, which is the day before the test. If everyone was to study in class then there would not be any excuses for anyone to fail. I feel as if this method would be a success. The down side to this process is that class time would be lost. To save time you should only spend five- ten minutes each day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Olivia, I think that instead of taking quizes every other week we should each day be assigned five words for homework for Monday through Wednesday and with these five words we should compose sentences incorporating the words correctly and turn them in the next day for a grade. Personaly I think the vocab quizes we've taken throughout GPS were a waste of time because I have honestly rememberd few of the words that I've memorized throughout the year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think we should have mini quizzes on vocab either the day or two days before the actual quiz. I don't think it should be over all the words; maybe five of them. If we are quizzed before hand then the teacher can get a good understanding of how everyone studies. Since the quizzes are cumulative I think there should only be one or two past words.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think the best way to incorporate the vocab in the curriculum would be to study it in class more. Maybe take five minutes at the beginning of each english class to study some of the words. We never do anything with the vocab in class, but it is still a part of our english grade. Even if we just made five flashcards per class or had short quizzes on all the words like we have done sometimes. However, instead of having the short quizzes the day of the vocab test, we should have them throughout the week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with everyone. I think that we should definitely be required to study the vocab before the night before or the day of. Maybe if we were assigned something that incorporated the vocab it would be easier. To be honest, I really do not remember most of the words.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Vocabulary this year was not emphasized enough for it to really matter. Most people I know (including myself) studied the night before and then promptly forgot them afterwards. If the English department wants to make vocab more important, it needs to be included into the curriculum more. I'm no expert... and I don't know how exactly a teacher can fit any more stuff into an English class. Maybe something on the blog?? If you required the students to write a sentence using each vocab word on the blog, you can include it in the curriculum and it not take up much class time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. At McCallie, at least in one class, the teacher gives extra credit for every vocabulary word used during the week. The guys will bring in a slip of paper with a witnesses signature beside it showing that that person had used that week's vocabulary word correctly in conversation and the teacher will give points. Honor is a major factor in this, but I think it would be a very effective way for us to really learn, understand, and utilize the vocabulary.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree with Sarah when she writes that she does not remember most of the words. I think what would help us is if we were to learn the words by the Friday before the vocab quiz and have a general quiz over it in English for maybe 10 minutes of the class.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mary Margaret GrovesMay 27, 2010 at 6:22 AM

    Whenever a chapter is due, have them make a note card that has all of the words they didn't know and their definitions. Then have them get a note card binder to archive their little "dictionary."

    ReplyDelete