Monday, May 24, 2010
Grammar/Mechanics Tips
We have worked A LOT on polishing your papers so that you do not include grammatical or mechanical errors in your writing. Simply put, they compromise your message. In order to help next year's students get a head start, respond with examples of mistakes you often unconsciously make and then include the rule/correction that illustrates the correct form...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
A common mistake is the sigular/plural agreement.
ReplyDeleteEx. The swim team has their own pool.
Correction: The swim taem has it's own pool.
Team is singular, so it needs to have a singular pronoun with it.
Ex. Following the players, walk in the coaches. Correction: Following the players, the coaches walk in.
ReplyDeleteRule: Place dangling modifiers correctly. Arrange modifiers in logical order. The main action or main clause should be independent.
commas: if you don't want your reader to pause, there shouldn't be a comma
ReplyDeleteexample: English class is fun, and enjoyable. (WRONG):
English class is fun and enjoyable. (RIGHT:)
don't use this!
example: This girl is so annoying. (WRONG):
The blond student is so annoying. (RIGHT:)
Common mistakes I make is aggreement. Like I put:
ReplyDeleteThe group doesn't know what they should do for the fundraiser.
It should be:
The group doesn't know what it should do for the fundraiser.
Correction: A common mistake. My bad.
ReplyDeleteA common mistake I make is also singular/plural agreement. I think Carol's example is how I often do it.
ReplyDeleteExample:
The family goes to their house.(WRONG)
The family goes to its house. (CORRECT)
You just have to be really careful and proof-read more than once!