Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Peer Editing Suggestions?

Had any moments of inspiration this year along the lines of, "Aha! THIS is how we should peer edit this paper! I am brilliant!"? Considering this course is in many ways a writing workshop, peer editing and revision are key elements of your success in this course. Comment with what you specifically either really liked about certain ways we peer edited in this course--or even better, suggest new ways students can go about getting constructive feedback on their papers before their writing is graded. Be specific. Be thoughtful. Really think about what would have helped you improve your writing as you were going through the writing process...

6 comments:

  1. I think that with peer editing it is REALLY important that we have a new person to peer edit our papers each time. Usually, we traded with our neighbor, and I know that it can be unfair for someone to have an unwilling/unhelpful editor every time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Peer editing, I believe, is very helpful. I agree with Mary Halley that we should have a new person each time. I think that the class should get to choose who to swap papers with because each individual knows who can really help them on their papers and that they will honestly mark it up with every correction needed. I also think that they should peer edit the first draft and then the final, the day before it is due, because that way they can get double the feedback on their paper.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This year, peer editing was a big part of many of our papers. My favorite way we peer edited this year was when we got to take two different classmates papers home to proof read while they took ours home. This allowed me to have a lot of time to spend on the papers and i feel like i did a better job peer editing because of the time. Peer editing allowed me to catch misspelled words and comma mistakes. Peer editing this year helped make my papers better and stronger.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Peer editing is a fantastic idea when given enough time. Doing longer papers in class was frustrating because I felt like I didn't have enough time to really go through them. I liked how we did peer editing in 3rd and 4th quarters: when we took them home and had all night to do that. That kind of thing might not been needed as much with the Description writing at the beginning of the year, but is very helpful once we got to longer papers.
    Note for future peer editors: don't just correct grammar. Make sure to look at flow and tell the author if you get confused at any point. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Peer editing really helped me while writing papers. Usually I will have my parents read over my papers the night before I turn them in. Sometimes I feel like I need someone else's opinion on the papers though. I don't like asking people outside of class to read them, though, because it takes a lot of time. It really helped me when we had two people edit our papers also.
    While peer editing make sure to go over the requirements Mrs. Gahan has given for the assignment. Make sure that you give the amount of attention to the paper as you would like given on yours. Be sure to read things over again to make sure that you really understand what you are reading.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Peer editing is really helpful when it comes to these papers, because it is important to get someone else's opinion on the paper. This year I think that the most helpful peer editing was when we had to switch papers with someone and peer edit her paper for homework. I think that when we just quickly do it in class, we don't have enough time to really look over it and give back significant feedback.

    ReplyDelete