Wednesday, March 3, 2010
Ok...favorite book in class this year
Now I want to know which book you most enjoyed reading in this course's curriculum and why. Try to go more into depth with this response...say something that someone else might be able to respond to or build off on in her response. Try to contribute a thought that may have never made it into a discussion in class. I am interested in your thoughts.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
My favorite book this year was Lord of the Flies because it was different from the boring ones they usually make us read. I enjoyed it because it always kept me thinking about what would happen next. Also, I really liked the diversity in the personality of the characters. From a dork with glasses, Piggy, to a savage, Jack, the characters interactions with each other were always interesting. Finally, one part of the book I would have liked to know about, that was left out, was who remained friends and who remained enemies once they returned home.
ReplyDeleteThe book that I most loved in this class this year was "A Tale of Two Cities." This is because the book was both a mix of drama and horror along with sarcastic commentary by the author. Reading this book was like watching a soap opera. The story line was very entertaining and the book offered a great deal of passages that contained deeper meanings that were great for analyzing.
ReplyDeleteI agree with Caroline. Lord of the Flies was my favorite because there was always action. I also like that it wasn't a typical female protagonist story that we read a lot of at GPS.
ReplyDeleteMy favorite book this year that we read in class is A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens. This book was easy to follow after one gets passed the first couple of chapters, and i also liked how there was so much more to it than was on the surface. It is not a book one can read with an closed mind, and what I mean by that is that the reader has to question and be creative with meanings and possibilites throughout the book. With out this open-mindedness motifs, symbols, themes, etc will pass right over the reader's head. So, I liked how it required me to think while I read and how the little sense that you're in on a secret when you find hidden meanings hidden in the text.
ReplyDeleteMy most favorite book this year was A Tale of Towo Cities. It is amazing to me how much is woven between the lines of this story. Before reading this book, I thought that motifs and themes would just magically appear after authors wrote their book. Now, I realize that lots of planning must have gone into the creation of the book. I love looking back at the book to see how different themes and motifs are woven together.
ReplyDeleteWomen don't seem to want to have children in this book because they don't want to bring their babies into a world of suffering (111). I wonder what made Dickens want to write this in his book.
My favorite book this year that we read was Tale of Two Cities. The book kept building suspense until the very last page. The best part of the book was the story of how Dr. Manette kept fighting for Darnay. By reading this, I was reminded that you never lose a battle until you give up. You never quit until you stop trying. Dr. Manette is a great example of how we should preserve though the hard times. Just as Caroline said about Lord of the Flies, I would also like to know how everyone lived his or her life after the end of the book. I would recommend that next year's class read this book.
ReplyDeleteMy favorite book this year was definitely Lord of the Flies. It was so different from the books we usually read in english classes. Though it had to do with the war like most of our other books, it focused on a smaller war going on outside of the big war. I also loved how the main characters were young boys in the age range of five to twelve. That definitely kept my attention throughout the the story. The story definitely made me think about society also. It showed me how corrupt society can be and how the desire for power can change people. The absurdity of how savage the boys became was so shocking that it made me want to read more just to see what would happen next. As much as I loved this book, I would still love to know what happened to the boys after they were saved. I wonder if they took their experiences and learned from them, or if they still continued their desire for power once they were off the island.
ReplyDeleteMy favorite book this year was Portrait of an Artist as a Young Man. I really enjoyed reading it because I actually had to think about the words and what exactly it was that he was saying. I had to analyze his words in such a different way because Joyce was such a random author, which I really enjoyed. I also really liked the different stances on religion because it was something that I could relate to my own life. I had an awesome experience reading this book!
ReplyDeleteLord of the flies. Reading that book didn't feel like it was an assignment and had the most lasting on our class.
ReplyDeleteMy favorite book this year was Picture of Dorian Gray. I like how this book kept me guessing about what was going to happen and left me stunned at the end. It really made me want to keep reading to see what will happen
ReplyDeleteMy absolute favorite book was The Picture of Dorian Gray. I just loved reading all of the descriptions because Wilde just has a gorgeous writing style. I enjoyed the mystery of it all and just watching Dorian's moral decline. It was just extremely interesting and I loved it. Plus Harry's sarcastic comments and insights were always intriguing.
ReplyDeleteI honestly don't have a favorite. I loved each of the books for different reasons, but mainly I loved each of them for their distinct plot line and characters.
ReplyDeleteMy favorite book this year was Lord of the Flies. Before this class I had never read a book like it before. Over the past years, we are usually required to read books about a teenage girl coming of age story which is great because we can relate to it. But I also feel that it gets a bit boring and should be switched up which is what Lord of the Flies does. The plot was interesting and I actually wanted to read it and find out what would happen.
ReplyDeleteMy favorite book this year was A Tale of Two Cities. I just loved how you had to keep reading to find out. The characters were fully developed. I could understand the writing but I was challenged at the same time. It was just so thoughtful and creatively written. I was intrigued the entire book.
ReplyDelete